We, the Los Banos Little League, have implemented the following Sport Parent/Family Code of Conduct for the important message it holds about the proper role of parents, family members, and guests in supporting their player in sports.
Parents/Families should read, understand and AGREE prior to their players participating in our league. ANY PARENT/FAMILY MEMBER GUILTY OF IMPROPER CONDUCT AT ANY GAME OR PRACTICE WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE THE SPORTS FACILITY AND BE SUSPENDED FROM THE FOLLOWING GAME. REPEAT VIOLATIONS MAY CAUSE A MULTIPLE GAME SUSPENSION, OR THE SEASON FORFEITURE OF THE PRIVILEGE OF ATTENDING ALL GAMES.
The essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles:
• Caring, and
• Good Citizenship.
The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these “six pillars of character.”
I therefore agree:
1. I will not force my player to participate in sports.
2. I will remember that players participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
3. I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my player or the safety of others.
4. I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
5. I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my player and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice or other sporting event.
6. I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing and taunting; refusing to shake hands; or using profane language or gestures.
7. I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and well being of the athletes.
8. I will teach my player to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
9. I will demand that my player treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex or ability.
10. I will teach my player that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my player will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
11. I will praise my player for competing fairly and trying hard, and make my player feel like a winner every time.
12. I will never ridicule or yell at my player or other participants for making a mistake or losing a competition.
13. I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my player over winning. I will also de-emphasize games and competition in the lower age groups.
14. I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my player to win.
15. I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront coaches at the game field, and will take time to speak with coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
16. I will demand a sports environment for my player that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and I will refrain from their use at all sports events.
17. I will refrain from coaching my player or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches of the team.